ZEBRA STRINGS

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:10:31 -0500

Today I performed a pitch raise on a 20 year old Hallet & Davis
console.  According to the owner, it had not been touched since it was
delivered new.  Tuning pin torque was pretty uniform throughout.
Several of the monochord strings were very noticeably dead sounding and
displayed a uniform tarnish.  However, about half of them had no
noticeable tarnish and sounded very good (i.e.  A0, A#0, and B0 looked
like new strings except for being dusty, whereas C1 was very dead and
tarnished).  There was no particular pattern to this problem.  In the
bichord section, the strings looked fairly uniform and none was
remarkably dead sounding.   I was assured by the owner that it had never
had any strings replaced and he had bought the instrument new.  I
detected no rust on the strings, v-bar, pressure bar, or any exposed
steel surfaces.
In my limited experience, I have not seen a situation like this.  I own
a 50 year old piano with new looking and bright sounding original bass
strings, and I've seen lots of 15 to 100 year olds with uniformly dead
and tarnished wound strings (the norm for this area), but never
this......
Is this a case of "bad" strings (i.e. metallurgical inconsistency)?

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee - Land of oppor-tune-ity (if you like 75 year old
"upright grands")