Earplugs again

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:45:44 EST

Paul McCloud writes:

> You can order these ER-20 earplugs from www.musiciansfriend.com.  They
>  are about $20.00 or so.

Or from Pianotek for less than that.

The technology for the ER series of earplugs was developed by Etymotics (long
"o") Research (hence the "ER"). It is manufactured by AEARO Corporation under
license from Etymotics Research. The technology consists of a little button
which is inserted into a comfortable, custom-molded eartip, made, I think, by
Westone, and fitted by your audiologist. It is available in 9, 15, and 25
decibel reductions, but the 15 is the most linear. Its attenuation is
essentially flat from the bottom of the piano to 6 kHz (C8 is a little over
4kHz). It rolls off to about 20 dB at 8 kHz (the 2nd harmonic of C8). These
earplugs make tuning more comfortable, and, counterintuitively, make it
easier to work in noisy environments.

The ER-9 is very similar from 1000 Hz (C6) up, but provides less attenuation
(9 or 10 dB) below that.

The ER-25 likely provides too much attenuation for tuning.

In addition, they make the universal fit ER-20, referenced above, which,
while cheap, provides less linear attenuation. They are officially rated at
12 dB, as the attenuation begins at that at the bottom and rolls smoothly to
20 dB at the top of the piano, and more steeply to 25 dB at the 2nd partial
of C8. This to me provides more mush than I want, although I sometimes use
them for rough stuff.

Check the Westone website at http://www.earmold.com for interesting
information about your hearing, and the Etymotic Research site at
http://www.etymotic.com for specific info about the ER series.

Bob Davis
Stockton, CA