Tuning Pins

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:59:06 -0500

I'm SO glad to see Keith's extended wording, as it reflects both my
practice and experiences. It must be something in the word "drive". Techs
hear the words "drive the pins", then proceed to do it... drive 'em in like
nails. More often than not, this leaves no options, including future pitch
raises/tunings, due to the risk of coils being sheared off at (and by) the
plate.

I've also observed that there is an unusually high incidence of pinblock
delamination following such driving. In known situations (and there have
been some), the tech literally drove (not tapped) the pins, and, to add
insult to injury, did not support the pinblock, and then concluded that....
driving pins does not work!

There's real power in simple words and expressions... often dangerous.

At 08:51 PM 11/10/99 -0600, Keith wrote:
>As to 'driving' the tuning pin versus the expression I am using, 'tapping'
>the tuning pin, I only tap the pin enough to witness a slight movement.
>Anymore than that is unnecessary in the majority of the situations I have
>experienced.
>
>And as to the concept of only establishing new grip at the bottom end of
>the tuning pin, I respectfully submit that the entire surface of the tuning
>pin hole is affected by this tap, thereby creating more than ample friction
>to introduce holding power once again.
>
>There just too many pianos I have done where the tuning pins are holding
>quite well, pianos that I tune twice a year minimum, and have been doing so
>for many years.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net