Quicken Q

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:19:38 -0500

This brings up a good question. I've used both Quicken and QB, but it's
been a while. So excuse me if I'm unclear on the details.

First, I agree that QB is more powerful than Quicken for business purposes.
I'm also aware that the cash versus invoicing areas share the same customer
database(?) However, when it comes to billing, a decision should be made
between invoicing (billing) and cash sales, lest the process become overly
complicated and really confusing. IIRC, there are two sets of sequential
numbers assigned (defaulted) by the program... one for invoices and one for
cash sales. This is where it gets tough.

If others are like me, invoice details are handwritten at the time of
service on a separate billing form, and payment is received. Later, the
details, as applicable, are recorded in QB -- in one place or another. I
understand there are some who pre-print the invoice from QB, then write in
additional details on-site. However, what if that call is cancelled for
whatever reason? You end up with an assigned invoice or cash sale number,
and no payment to coincide with it.

Eg, say there are four calls that day. Three are "cash" sales, and one is
to be billed. Someone take it from there in terms of data entry into QB,
and keeping the consecutive numbering sequence.

At 09:19 PM 11/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Many technicians use Quicken, I think, and I'm trying it. I'm confused
>>about entering income, however. The program presents an invoice form
>>into which all sorts of things must be entered along with due date, etc.
>>I'm mostly paid right after the job, so I'd just like to enter the
>>amounts received each day and get it over with. Can anyone offer me some
>>tips?
>>
>>Philip Jamison Pianos
>>West Chester, PA
>
>I record all my income as cash sale, then you can make a deposit into
>whatever account you have.  I have quickbooks pro.  I think it is the same.
>
>I don't bother with invoices, haven't bothered to learn the program well,
>my wife could do it, she is an accountant, but all she looks at is my
>profit and loss statement : (.
>
>"You are never alone or helpless, the force that guides the stars guides
>you too." -P.R. Sarkar

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
Yes, I'm familiar with Brambach... why do you ask?
	-Jim Harvey, 1974