Harpsichord info appreciated

Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:22:12 -0600

>Subject: Re: Harpsichord info appreciated

>These are very old and have been beat up as would be expected in a
university environment.  The last >real overhaul was about fourteen years
ago, I am told.  There is even talk about possibly trading both of >them in
for one nicer one, who knows.  At any rate these have those awful oblong
tuning pins that >require a Handle.

--->At the very least I am going to have those replaced with square pins.<---

I would advise against that because:

1.	I'm lazy and it's much easer to obtain a tuning wrench and learn to tune
them, than it would be to drill out all those holes and restring.

2.	Harpsichords with those tapered tuning pins with oval/flat heads never
have a problem with loose pins.  Our calling the tuning device a tuning
hammer is vestigial from when many instruments had  those tapered pins. The
handle would be turned to tap any loose pin into the wrestplank. -no C/A
glue or pintite needed.  Try finding oversize zither pins...

3.	Helpful hands with zither tuners are not likely to mess up your tuning.

Conradwholiveswiththemallthetime

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right
keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." - J. S. Bach