Tuning Pins

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:09:48 -0600

>>George Todd posted: ...Which is better to  do?
>
>Both methods can be successful depending on the circumstances.
>
>I would try tapping the pins into the pinblock as a first alternative.  If
>that's not successful, then you can resort to a tuning pin tightener as a
>second step.
>
>You can use the worst offenders for a test situation to check results
>before committing to all of them.
>
>Keith McGavern

I agree with Keith on tapping first. Occasionally, you will find one or two
random pins that aren't tight enough to be reliable. Tap and go. You aren't
trying to cure anything, just get the tuning done, issue the warning to the
customer about pending problems, and get on with your day. At this point,
it ain't your problem, and you haven't contaminated the block with anything
or smelled up the place unnecessarily.

A whole set or section is another matter. That seems to more constitute a
"fix" than just some spot tapping, and fixes seem to carry a little more
responsibility than light repairs. That's when it's time to have a heart to
heart with the customer and determine if they really REALLY want to try to
patch and Band-Aid this wee beastie back into working order. That's after
you have had that talk with yourself and decided that you were willing to
do the repair. After they have listened to the disclaimers and they
understand that it's just a bigger repair, and not necessarily a fix, then
I'd still try the tapping first. If I finally had to resort to doping a
block with anything, it would probably be CA. It seems like a more positive
repair than other dopes, and it smells bad enough that the customer will be
more likely to appreciate it. Everyone knows that medicine has to taste bad
to work.

Ron N