Capo Bar

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:13:21 -0600

Hi Matthew,
                  If you are keep breaking strings in capo bar area, it is
time
to restring the top section,
I would polish the bar shoe shine style with emery cloth, then carefully
inspect the pressure points to make sure all the grooves are gone. Also clean
up the forward bearing points and lub both bearing areas with parafine wax.
The acute angle of the forward duplex is often part of the problem, combined
with tuning technique. These instruments are not the most tuner friendly in
the
treble.
Others more knowlegeable can give some tips on tuning M & H, the two I
occasionally work on are bears to say the least.
Regards Roger

At 06:39 AM 12/11/99 -0800, you wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> In the five years of this Mason & Hamlin grand, all of the 50+ strings have
> broken in the area where they pass under the capo bar.  Not one string has
> broken in the mid treble range, and only a few in the bass (which I can
> understand).  All of the hammers were reshaped and voiced a few months back,
> and a string has broken.  Do you think the capo bar is too sharp?
>

> Matthew

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213