Tuning Pins

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:12:01 EST

<<"I just was suprised that the issue came up.. and that there were several
of you all out there that endorse this proceedure.">>

Well you can add one more to this "several" endorsing tapping pins.  Of
course the individual situation has to be evaluated, i.e. Is there enough
height of coil above plate to do so?  Will tapping this particular pin
present any undue problems with adjacent pins?  Will tapping this pin cause
undue strain in bearing angles? and a few more that I can't think of right
now. Pin tapping is an appropiate first response to an ocassional loose pin,
, but perhaps not the only one.  To indicate otherwise is unsupportable. Pin
tapping, as every other operation on pianos, can and has been overdone,
poorly done, and done inappropiately.  To see techs using pin tapping is not
surprising or in the least upsetting in any way, in my opinion.
Jim Bryant (FL)