Pianalyzer Voicing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 22:53:28 -0600

Hi Mark,
             With out getting too detailed, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th
Partial should approximate an exponential curve for amplitude. And be
better than 5 sec sustain time for each partial.
The true power and singing quality is really the RMS value of the sum of
the partials.
The lower register B3 down ward will tend to follow a more parabolic
evelope of partials. With the 3rd and 4th being the stronger.
Now throw in the personal perception of ideal tone, and we have a can of worms
Regards Roger

At 11:25 AM 12/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello List especially RCT owners,
>     Anyone using the Pianalyzer to check timbre, volume, sustain,
>power  etc.  If you are, i'm interested to know what values/readings are
>considered "good" in the killer octave range of Steinway Ds.  I've
>played around with this some and found that what i perceive as strong
>tone does not  always agree with the Pianalyzer.
>    How valid is this as a way to measure tonal power, and thus compare
>pianos and also compare the merits of various tone building techniques?
>What type of bar graph do you think is best to see in the killer octave
>of a concert piano?  (All fundamental weak overtones, the reverse, or
>some other balance?)   Being isolated as most of us are,  it is hard to
>quantify just how much power the killer octave should have on a good
>concert grand.
>-Mike Jorgensen RPT

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.