pin blocks

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:43:09 -0600

Elasticity of pinblocks is a subject near and dear to my heart. I've spent a
lot of time looking at that recently. I usually drill delignit with a .266"
bit. When the bit is cool and fed carefully the hole will measure .261", so
don't think that Delignet is inelastic. On the other hand, using a fishtail
bit at excessive speed I was able to end up with a hole that was just .0005"
undersized demonstrating that heat will destroy the elasticity in the area
of the hole. Even reamers will produce an undersized hole (usually only a
thou. or two).

Using the same bore gages that I used for the above, I measured an old 5-ply
maple bock that I was repinning. The holes were over .010" out of round in
each ply. The wide spot was oriented with the grain and thus purpendicular
between the plies giving the hole a "Coke bottle" profile.

Richard