Historical Documentation of Reverse Well

Michel Lachance michel_lachance@hotmail.com
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:38:40 EST

Bill,

Your input is very intersting, even though I may not get everything right.

It is true that, if you tune the piano aurally with odd schemes, you may end
up with a slight unequal temperament that may have really good taste, even
though the goal was to produce an ET.  John Travis relates his own personnal
experience regarding this in his classic book "Let's tune up!".  I am not
saying this in a pejorative way, all the contrary.  If someone can
personnalised his tuning in a way that it suits his own taste and the one of
his customers, would it be strict equal, well or anything else, it is indeed
quite an achievement, regardless of the technical intentions.

The quotation of Jean Jousse dates from 1832 and I don't think it would be
relevant as a scientific statement.  At that time, they didn't have
technical means to calculate frequencies as we have today.  It very possible
today to tune a perfect equal temperament, using either all the aural tests
coming from scientific studies, or by simply using an ETD.

I don't think that, as technicians, we have been taught to reject
automatically anything that goes outside of ET.  But it is true that we
seldom have been encouraged to try anything else, by lack of education
perhaps.

Last week, I have had my first request for an historical temperament on a
piano, a victorian one it happened to be.  I really liked it and so did my
client.  I wanted to repeat the experience on my own piano and tried the
Fairchild Temperament that softens the simple key (called the piano
teacher's delight temperament...).  I mostly play by ear and seldom go with
too many black keys.

What an experience!  I have now many keys that sound very much like what we
hear with some A Capella choirs that sing with no vibrato!  The D natural
key is specially amazing.  This will be my favorite one from now one!

Regards,

Michel Lachance, RPT