Strings height

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:49:26 -0500

Dear Rogério,

There are two ways to set up a string line for regulation.

a:	Measure from the center of the hammer shank end to the strike point
and add the distance from the keybed to the hammer shank center pin
and add the two together, add 1/16" (2 mm) to that and regulate to
that number.

b.	CHecking my records I find that the average bore distance for S&S
hammers is 2.15" for the bass and 1.8" for the treble.  Add the hammer
center pin height and 2 mm to that and you will have an average string
height regulation.

These will get you into the ball park but letoff may have to be done
over again in the piano if there are minor blocking problems but
everything else should work.  This assumes the keyframe was bedded
before the action was removed.  If not use the key heights at the ends
and raise the center about .5 mm above the average of those.  Make
sure the keyframe sit solid on the bench by shimming the center rail
or the back rail if they are high.  The front rail should be solid on
the bench before the other two.

Before filing the hammers look at the string marks to determine if the
hammer needs to be traveled or spaced to the left or right according
to how it moves relative to it's neighbors.

The dip will have to be done again at the piano but everything else
should work.  Maybe.

Lots of luck.

		Newton