QuickBooks Pro

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:15:34 -0600

I have followed the discussion about computer programs for bookkeeping with
great interest.  I used to use Quicken for personal finance bookkeeping,
but after our computer was upgraded, Quicken now crashes every time I use it.

I used to use paper records for all business income and expenses.  You now
can not pay me enough to go back to that method for accounting!  If you
have training in accounting, and you have a system that works involving
ledger books, go for it.  I have had no classes in accounting, but with
QuickBooks Pro I can keep everything related to my business finances in
very nice order.  There is a thick 1000 page user's guide that answers
almost all of your questions.

I do have a complaint about QuickBooks Pro, however.  I wish there was a
way to inventory all my tools in QuickBooks Pro.

Here is a system that I use that works for me.

If I order tools or supplies from one of the piano supply companies, I fill
out a purchase order in QuickBooks Pro.  I don't have to send the purchase
order in to the company, but this is just to keep my records straight for
myself.  When the items arrive, it is easy to receive the items and record
it in the computer.  When the bill arrives, that is easy to enter into the
computer.

Every bill I receive gets entered into the computer.  Every week, when I
check to see which bills are due to be paid, it is easy to see which bills
are due first, and if there is a discount for early payment.  When I pay a
bill, I can just click on the bill, and it automatically records it into
the check register.  When I write a check, filling out the check form is
just as easy as writing a check.  QuickBooks Pro will keep track of as many
accounts as you want: checking, credit card, petty cash, etc.

When I do a tuning, I take a two part printed numbered invoice with me,
fill it out at the tuning, get paid, and leave the customer their copy.  At
home, I fill out the invoice in the computer, record the payment, and
record the deposit I made.  I use the same number in the computer that was
on the pre-printed numbered invoice.  If I tune for a business or church, I
leave an invoice for them to pay.  After 15 days, if I haven't received
payment yet, it is easy to print out a statement or another copy of the
invoice and mail it to the customer as a gentle reminder.  I have envelopes
with plastic cellophane windows that allows the customers address to be
visible.  This saves spending time addressing envelopes.

QB Pro makes it simple to see what your accounts payable or accounts
receivable are at any time.  Any time I want, I can see how my business is
doing by printing out a balance sheet, or a profit and loss statement.  I
can print out several different graphs showing expenses and income.

Roger Hayden had some good suggestions about Quick Books that I agree with.

Jim Harvey had a question about cash sales vs. invoices.  For what it is
worth, I don't record things as cash sales.  Everything gets recorded as an
invoice, even if I get paid the same day.  That may not be the answer you
want, but it works for me!

One can print out detailed list of all the invoices, payments, deposits,
checks, and bill payments by clicking a button.  It is possible to search
and find a customer, part, invoice, payment, etc.  I can rave on and on
about QuickBooks Pro, but there is one last reason I like it... It is not
MicroSoft!

The hardest part is setting up the program to do what you want, and getting
familiar with all the functions.  Once you have learned the system, it is
simple and easy, as long as you keep up with data entry regularly.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO