Steinway Fallboard Question

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:41:42 -0500

If we extend the theme to action access/removal, not just fallboard
removal, the list becomes longer.

There is a grand piano that has a trim strip in the tuning pin area.
Removing the trim strip involves removing about 48 tiny screws. This
exposes a few larger screws. Once those are removed, the 'stretcher' is
then removed. Otherwise, the stretcher is too long to permit action
removal. I may have one or more parts of this description wrong, since it's
been a while, but I seem to recall the piano being a Gulbransen. If not...
then it was a Winter.

Ditto on it's been a while, but it occurs to me that some Kranich & Bach
grands require some head-scratching as well... kinda' like removing tonsils
through the ear.

As for verticals, I too sometimes forget about the Everett setup, but
always remember just prior to doing any damage.

Finally, I have yet to see any two vintage Wurlitzer verticals where access
was accomplished the same way.

Jim Harvey, RPT
... who is starting to forget more than >I< ever knew, or so it seems!