Help Help:Magic marker on real ivory

Yat-lam Hong yat-lam.hong@wmich.edu
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:13:20 -0500

Dear Bob,

There's a very simple solution (pardon the pun) to this problem.  Go to your
local office supply store, or any store that makes rubber stamps, and buy a
bottle of "Ink Reactivator."  I suppose there are different brands available on
the market.  The one I use is the "Aero" brand (catalogue no. 1250).

Just wet a small area of your rag with this solution, and wipe the damaged
keytops.  This solution dissolves the dried marker pen ink instantly, and while
it's wet, you could wipe it off easily, as though the ink was never on the
keytops.

It also works nicely for the red lines you sometimes see on keytops.  These red
lines are often found in the treble section of the keyboard, and they're caused
by women (girls) doing glissando on the keyboard, when their nail polish comes
off, leaving red steaks.  Your Ink Reactivator will take them off immediately.
It works like magic, and I always carry a small bottle in my tool case just for
this purpose.  This stuff evaporates quickly, so a glass bottle would work
better than a plastic one.  It also works well with ball point pen ink.

One thing you may want to watch out for is that, while the Ink Reactivator
dissolves dried ink for easy removal, it sometimes would begin to dissolve the
plastic in a certain kind of keytops.  Look for a keytop that begins to soften
and appear dull as you rub with the solution.  This is a sign that the Ink
Reactivator is actually melting the plastic.  If that's the case, wipe very
lightly and quickly--just enough to get rid of the ink marks, and quit before
the plastic begins to soften.  Do this one keytop at a time.

This kind of keytops are sometimes used on older pianos, and they have a
slightly yellowish color to them.  The newer kinds of keytops, which are very
white and shiny (like those used on Steinways), do not have this problem.  If
the marker ink is on real ivories, Ink Reactivator won't work, because the ink
has already sunken into the pores of the ivories beyond the reach of the wiping
action on the surface.

In case Ink Reactivator is called by some other name in your area, just ask the
rubber stamp store for the chemical that removes ink from rubber stamps (as in
undoing a mistake when a rubber stamp is stamped in the wrong place and one
needs to start over.)  This  stuff is fairly expensive.  The 4 oz. bottle I
bought cost me over $12.00, but when you need it, nothing else works as well.
But a small bottle lasts a long time.  Good luck!

Yat-Lam Hong