hammer hanging question

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 07:40:55 -0600

This sounds like the place to "start over".  Dry fit sample hammers on the
ends of the top section.  Move the hammers on the shank until the top note
sounds the best with the action in the proper position.  That's your
distance for the top section.  Probably the rest of them will be set at the
same length, but try samples in the rest of the piano.

dave

On 11/15/99 at 11:08 PM PNOTNR@AOL.COM wrote:

>List,
>
>I'm replacing hammers on a 1963 Baldwin D Grand.  Unfortunately I am not
>replacing the original hammers.  Whoever installed the existing hammers
did a
>very poor job.  They are not close to 90 degrees to the shank, shaping
>appears to have been done freehand, possibly with a pocket knife.  In
>addition, I suspect that these were likely not the correct hammers for
this
>instrument from the start.
>
>I figure that using guide hammers from this set may not be much help!
>
>Is 5-1/8" the correct distance (center pin to center of hammer molding)
for
>this instrument.  Is this a fairly standard measurement?  Seems like I
should
>have been able to find this information in my books or past journals, but
>wasn't having mush luck.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Gordon Large, RPT
>Maine