hammer hanging question

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:00:10 -0600

Hi Gordon,
                 You can order a new set of hammers from Baldwin pre
drilled, the new hammers are Renner, and are tapered and tailed to correct
for the new felt mass.
You will have the correct bore distance and rake, this could make life a
lot easier for you.
The hammer centre line to centre pin dimension can vary a good 1/16".
Hope this helps
Roger

At 11:08 PM 15/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I'm replacing hammers on a 1963 Baldwin D Grand.  Unfortunately I am not
>replacing the original hammers.  Whoever installed the existing hammers
did a
>very poor job.  They are not close to 90 degrees to the shank, shaping
>appears to have been done freehand, possibly with a pocket knife.  In
>addition, I suspect that these were likely not the correct hammers for this
>instrument from the start.
>
>I figure that using guide hammers from this set may not be much help!
>
>Is 5-1/8" the correct distance (center pin to center of hammer molding) for
>this instrument.  Is this a fairly standard measurement?  Seems like I
should
>have been able to find this information in my books or past journals, but I
>wasn't having mush luck.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Gordon Large, RPT
>Maine