Swimming Pool Piano

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:28:05 +0100

Hi list.

Just ran into a piano the yesterday I couldnt believe. I was scheduled
to tune the thing and showed up for the appointment on schedule. The
lady met me at her door and took me in to show me where the piano was.
We went right through the house and into an indoor swimming pool hall.
Talk about humidity. They had the room at at least 75 degrees. The piano
had been there for about 15 years she said and needed tuning. <grin>.
You wouldnt believe the amount of rust on this thing. Cakes and Cakes of
rust on every imaginable metal part. She complained about the pedal
making a slight squeak. I have never heard such noise coming from a
pedal in my life. The damper lift rail was of course caked with rust as
well, and the pedal trapwork was ... welll I could go on and on.

Not suprisingly the piano was way over 440, and it actually had
reasonably good tone. It was of course impossible to accomplish any
thing there and then, so she is deciding what to do with it.

Just goes to show how little the average Joan on the street sometimes
knows about their pianos.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway