Epoxy Finish

Philip Jamison mortier@netreach.net
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:37:26 -0500

I made a delivery to a piano refinisher the other day and they took me
through the shop. Most of their finishes are with nitrocellulose
lacquer. I noticed a nicely carved grand with what looked like a sealer
coat and was surprised to learn that it had been finished with epoxy. I
don't mean an additive finish like polyester, but regular West System
clear epoxy. It's rolled and sponge brushed on, dry sanded, then
finished with laquer. I was told the epoxy acted as an excellent sealer
and assisted in holding on loose veneer. Seems like it might make it
hard for the next refinisher. Anyone ever heard of this system?

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA