How does CA cure?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:03:47 -0800

At 10:35 PM 11/16/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Susan,
>Last night I put several size 1x0 pins in a size 2x0 hole, poured ca glue
>in until it stopped disappearing into the hole.  Went out to the shop
>several hours later, broke the pins loose and removed them with a
>drill.  Out popped pins coated with a ca glue sheath.  The sheath could be
>easily broken off the tuning pins, but it had it's own integrity, I don't
>think it would have crystallized or any such thing inside the hole.
>
>I first used CA glue in a pinblock about 7 or 8 years ago to try to deal
>with excessively loose pins in an institutional environment where they
>will never spend the requisite money to rebuild the piano. The pins still
>hold well after two tunings a year for all those years.
>
>Diane

That's very helpful, Diane. So, there is a sheath, and it's smooth? Did you
inspect the holes, too? Is there, perhaps, a smooth lining of CA glue
there, too?

I think that using CA 7 or 8 years ago in pinblocks may make you one of the
very first to try it. Has anyone here used it longer than that?

Susan