Tuning shorthand

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:59:49 +0100

Dave... there is a great little book available from the PTG written by
Rick
Baldersin (I think his name is spelled that way.. grin). It is called on
pitch.
It costs 25 dollars and explains all this about octave types and why we
use them.

Briefly tho, the "ratios" you refer to are not ratios at all. They are
partial
number designations. A 4:2 octave is one in which the 4th partial of the
lower
note is compared to the 2nd partial of the upper, and so on.

Get Ricks book, learn about the overtone series and how this relates to
piano
tuning, and all will become very clear. Including what a task it really
is to
really tune well.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.