Tuning shorthand

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:40:05 -0500

> (Don't take it hard, Newton!) He said "major fifth".

Well, I don't, much.

> I bristle when I see "major fifth." Fifths aren't major or minor: like fourths, they are perfect (that's what the P stands for), augmented, or diminished.

Sorry to be offensive (shucks, geewhiikers)  I _knew_ that, sort of,
but forgot in the heat of flying fingers (more like flopping slugs).
I would like to have seen you bristle.  Are your hackles still up?

> Some of our customers are musicians, after all, and we don't want to seem ignorant.

Some of us, like me, are not musicians (I do sing occasionally) and
have had to learn this stuff by rote not having been taught the basics
or the sense of it all, if there is any.  I _am_ iggnurt and proud of
it.

Susan is absolutely correct. The more we know about music and it's
structure the easier we can communicate with our customers.

>  No fun, getting a red face.

(Blush) (Sliding under chair)

		Newton