Tuning shorthand

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:01:46 -0500

> >Coincedental partials are the partials of approximately the same pitch that occur when an interval of two notes is player.
>
>   Are you meaning that coincidental partials are just the partials that are
> shared by two different strings?  It may be crude, but If so, I follow you

Yes.  Nice 'in other words'.  Any reasonably useful interval will have
two (or more) coincidental partials which produce the beats we need to
listen for.  The beats are produced because those two partials have
approximately the same pitch, the difference being the beats per
second.  Know which partials coincide helps in understanding the
interrelationship of all the intervals.

> F3  C4  Fifth
> F4  C5 a           (What is a?)
> C5 a    G5
> F5  C6 b            (What is b?)
> A5  E6
> C6 b    G6
> A6  A#6
> C7  C7

The 'a' and the 'b' indicate the first and the second set of
coincidental partials respectively for the fifth interval and it's
first eight partials.

Thank you for asking the questions.  We who know this stuff too often
assume others can read our minds.

If you have other questions please ask.

		Newton