How does CA cure?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:08:42 -0800

Hi, Roger

>                No, not longer but, I replaced a block that had the complete
>bass doped with CA  5 years previous, the bass was still torquing quite
>nicely but the rest of the piano was starting to fail.
>It was a 3 ply block, I cut a section off the bass and through the TP holes
>on the table saw. then run the cut through the disc sander. The CA glue
>really penetrates the end grain a good mm, yet it lays on the surface of
>the side grain.
>There was CA glue on both the pins and the hole surface.

This is interesting, especially in light of Diane's experience, where the
pins are coated. It seems like CA produces a lining of both the pinblock
hole and the tuning pin, sort of like cartilage in a joint. The relined
interface also seems to hold up well under use. It would seal the wood,
which might keep moisture out of it, and it would glue together all the
little splinters on the surface, preventing them from working loose due to
roughness of the pin, just like a well-lined kneecap.

I'm beginning to think that this CA repair is a good approach to take.

Does anyone see any reason to use the accelerator? I really don't like the
stuff. Why not just treat the loose pins, start the tuning, or maybe go
tune something else, and then come back and try them? It's not like the
glycerin stuff, which has to sit a week before one can untilt and tune.

Susan