Mason Hamlin, string breaker/ heart breaker

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:39:08 EST

Well, all, I went out to look at the M & H grand that Matthew Todd has asked
the list about.  If you remember he is breaking strings on this piano and the
list has given him lots of hints on what to do.  Here is what I found.

The church first had an unsighted technician tune and service the piano for
fifteen years.  I believe all he did was tune.  Then, to his credit, he
recommended that the piano have some major work done on it by another tech.
At that time, (here comes the big error) they switched techs and had "Joe
discount tuner" come on the scene.  Let's just say he made a three year mess
of the piano.

His strings that broke were fixed with wrong size wire and barely one winding
around a pin.  No tight coils anywhere, pins too high and all chewed up.  The
dampers around the areas that were restrung look like teeth in need of
braces.  The damper felt was chewed up from not lifting the dampers while
replacing strings.  He used a wrong repetition and the key sits three mm
lower than adjacent keys.  No let off and no drop.  The jack tender never
contacts the let off button.  The piano is in horrid regulation and the
bushings are almost nonexistent.  I feel for this young music minister.
Matthew feels somewhat responsible for the strings breaking and the piano
being in such disrepair.

My recommendations were to replace hammers, shanks and flanges with premium
hammers.  (the current hammers are Aeolian rock hard crusties) Restring
nearly the upper half of the piano after polishing the capo bar to remove
ridges.  Rebush and regulate the action fully.  We should be back in
business.  The piano is only 20 years old or so.  We will keep you informed
on the progress.  The bid is on it's way to the board at the church.

Thanks Matthew for having me out.  You will see the Mason Hamlin in good
condition soon if you decide to do the work.  =)

Ed Tomlinson
Vancouver WA