Good results on marked-up Ivories

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:01:11 EST

Hi List:
Thanks for the many good ideas concerning a customer of mine witha 1-year-old
who used magic marker/highlighter on genuine ivories.( Steinway B)
I tried several products-from your suggestions and what was available from
stores- first on some samples at home.  I used both magic marker and yellow
highlight pens.
Products used were: "Goof Off"  made by Lilly Industries; Acetone; and  the
developer bottle supplied with Clairol Nice n Easy home hair coloring kit.
I applied markers to (1) wide-grained ivory (2) fine grained ivory (3)
plastic key top.

The Goof Off took any marks off of the plastic but would not make much
headway on genuine ivory-especially on wide-grained.
The winner was: Nice n Easy developer which appears to be a very creamy
chemical concoction but seems to resemble Hydrogen Peroxide.

When I took this to the customers home, it took about 5 minutes to get the
highlighter pen marks out of the 18 keytops using the developer and very fine
steel wool -just as I had done on the samples I  had worked on at home.
She was delighted- as was I at getting such wonderful results.

The lady had just returned from a trip to Italy and gave me a 1000 Lira note
as a tip.  I can  now get that Cadillac I always wanted.

Again:Thanks to all of you for responses to this problem.

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio