baldwin console

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:37:33 EST

In a message dated 11/19/99 9:47:02 PM Central Standard Time,
lesbart@juno.com writes:

<< Well, it LOOKS like leather.........  light brown stuff.  What, then are
 my options?  Do I have to re-leather the hammer-butts? >>

Years ago I redid the butt leathers on two of these pianos and the material
was light brown on both of them. The problem is that it is some kind of
synthetic stuff that petrified over time. So feel them or stick them with
something. Are they soft or are they like a rock?

The job amounts to removing the hammers, cutting through the "leather" at mid
point, pulling the halves of with pliers and fastening on the new leather
with CA glue at each end. Be sure not to get sloppy with the glue or it will
wick through the leather and turn it hard, causing the very clicking you are
trying to get rid of!

When you are done you will probably have to do some minor regulation.

Dave Bunch