Seperated Ribs

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:46:55 EST

There is special ways of handling the rib seperation.  The question is why
did this happen.  Do not heat this up more.  DO NOT HEAT THIS UP MORE!  You
may want to call PTG's home office and get the reprints on soundboards and
ribs.  It could be as simple as working wood glue up into the void and
drawing it together with some wood screws from behind or drilling a small
hole through the sound board and using piano wire as a clamp with a tuning
pin in pinblock material to sinch it up snug and some soft wood and a washer
on the other side to help as the clamp.  If this is clear as mud call me.  My
number is in the directory.

Ed Tomlinson

<< I serviced a S&S 41" vertical (anyone know the model name on this?)
 yesterday for a client who inherited it from her sister.  The dealer in
 Boston who appraised it for her to settle the estate noted soundboard
 cracks, but did not elaborate.  The piano is in her basement (quasi heated)
 and was 25 cents sharp.  Problem is that the ribs have all separated all
 along the crack.  The separation is about 4 to 6 inches at 1 or 2 ribs and
 the soundboard is about 3 or 4 mm from the rib.  I have heard of working
 glue into the separation and drawing the joint together with a wire clamp,
 although I have never had the opportunity to do it myself. Question I have
 is whether this is possible on this major of a failure.   Should I make an
 attempt to dry the assemby out somewhat by placing it onits back with a
 heater underneath or work with it in its ambient condition?