Seperated Ribs

Bill J. Barber bjbarber@wport.com
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:18:07 -0800

I serviced a S&S 41" vertical (anyone know the model name on this?)
yesterday for a client who inherited it from her sister.  The dealer in
Boston who appraised it for her to settle the estate noted soundboard
cracks, but did not elaborate.  The piano is in her basement (quasi heated)
and was 25 cents sharp.  Problem is that the ribs have all separated all
along the crack.  The separation is about 4 to 6 inches at 1 or 2 ribs and
the soundboard is about 3 or 4 mm from the rib.  I have heard of working
glue into the separation and drawing the joint together with a wire clamp,
although I have never had the opportunity to do it myself. Question I have
is whether this is possible on this major of a failure.   Should I make an
attempt to dry the assemby out somewhat by placing it onits back with a
heater underneath or work with it in its ambient condition?