Phone messasge about S&S

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:14:45 -0600

Hi Jim,
           How come you never post any easy ones?
Cheek blocks not tight with this type of pedal gymnastics, scary?????????????
If the sostenudo is partially engaged, the tabs can really hit the bar, add
to that a loose fitting frame it would be possible to jamb the tab to the
point that the damper wire will bend forward.
This will lead to some very leaky dampers, we all know what 2 or 3 leaky
dampers can sound like, Yuk!
Have the customer remove the music desk, and lightly touch the strings or
dampers to see if you have a damper problem.
Have the customer firmly strike and release each note, staccato style, and
listen for over ring, this will give you a clue, or rule out a problem.
Repeat the process with a slow release, looking for a clean shut off.
Are there dag adjustment screws on this model? Why did you leave the cheek
blocks loose, is the hardware badly worn?
If using the unacorda with loose blocks and no dag adjustment screws, the
action may want to slide back in to the drawer in operation and cause some
jambing, hence damper problems.
Clear like mud.
Roger

Roger Jolly