Phone messasge about S&S

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 02:33:43 -0500

Hi Roger/Ron/Jon,

In my haste (like spelling "messasge" in the subject line) to document the
particulars as known, I should have written the cheekblock item
differently. I did -not- leave the cheekblocks loose. So, this...

>>* I left cheekblocks loose last week after minor voicing (NOT);

should have been a question/self-response instead of a statement, as in...

I -may- have left the cheekblocks loose last week after minor voicing? (NO,
or NOT LIKELY)

BTW, this unit does not have adjustable dags (wonder if a retrofit is in
order(?)), and I watch for cheekblock guide wear. I have to -- the
slightest movement away from perfect and something quits working (strike
point, hanging dampers, sostenuto, etc.). When voicing I always have to put
the cheekblocks in position to check, otherwise waste time fiddling with
the action position. I know blocks in position is the usual correct way
-anyway-, but on many pianos, I often "forget" to do it when making quick
in/out judgements and corrections! 8-}

To Ron: Client is too picky to do the usual library, aquarium, family
treasures and other junk atop the piano. The most I've ever seen is a)
ceramic clock w/felted feet; b) electric metronome with whatever feet they
come with, and c) a piece of a/o paper or one music book. She -does- like
to keep bunches of pencils (likes 'em sharp) in "the well" (last octave
between music stretcher and closest row of tuning pins), but she's
consistent about it. I've never seen a stray pencil elsewhere, including
falling between the fallboard and stretcher into the action.

To Jon: Good call, and one that I've dealt with before on this piano. As
you indicated, I'll probably have a clearer description once I actually get
the client on the phone.

Thanks/regards, for the moment.

-jh-