Concerts in general

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:42:58 PST

Doug,
Sometimes it works out just great........

I got a phone call one Saturday afternoon, could I do a "rush" tuning for a
rock concert that was to start in about an hour. The group putting on the
concert had forgotten about tuning the piano, the artist was refusing to go
on and the lady calling me said "And my brother is a piano tuner and he
refuses to get out of the bathtub!"  I went down to the auditorium, past the
lines of people waiting to get in and heard them announce to the artist "the
piano tuner is here". "Good, get him down here", she said, then "Oh, you're
a lady!"

She left for her dressing room and I looked over the situation while it
became apparent to me that the sound checks and re-arranging of the sound
equipment was just starting and would continue the whole time until the
concert  (it was LOUD).  So I went to her dressing room and said, "I passed
the lines of eager fans waiting to hear you, the sound checks are too loud
for me to tune the piano, and besides 15 minutes is not long enough tune a
piano.  Is there _anything_ I can do for you to enable you to go on?"  She
looked at me seriously, and asked "Could you fix the pedal and those three
dampers?"  Bingo! The deed was done, the show went on (I doubt anybody at
that rock concert was concerned about the out of tune unisons or octaves for
that matter) and the crew that put on the concert feted me with brie cheese,
chicken wings, sourdough bread and countless other specialities that were
there for the "workers".  I got paid extra for coming in at the last minute
like that too!
Diane