white powder

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 06:09:35 -0400

Hi Rob,
I personally think that the container of water, in the bottom of the
piano, during the heating season, does help maintain a higher level of
humidity in the piano cavity. It shouldn't be allowed to run dry though.

Naturally a Dampp-Chaser system is the way to go.
But for the old "clunker" belonging to the person who can't afford a D C
system, I can see no harm in the container of water in the
bottom,especially during our very dry heating season, where with wood
heat the humity can go down to the
teens.
I don't consider it an old wife's tale, which is something which has no
merit, and is folklore.
Just my opinion.
Regards,
John M. Ross