Pitch Raises (Was re:Year??)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:55:56 -0500

Another option before getting underway is to ask the customer
what use the piano gets. If the piano is not used for lessons or
played with other instruments the concept of pitch is irrelevant.
The piano can be tuned to itself with the customer acknowledging
its shortcomings.

If the pitch were brought up about 4cps the tuning would still be
appreciable. At subsequent tunings the same pitch raise is applied.
Over time the tension will come up to 'pitch' if they continue on a
regular basis, if not; you didn't knock yourself out. A cursory pitch
raise for a customer such as this can be accomplished in 30 minutes.
A slight discount can be applied as an incentive for them to schedule
these pitch raises every 6mo. to a year. More likely is the case where
minor action adjustments could be made to fill in the time slot and
price difference and this will also impress the owner.

Most the time though, it's like a drive-by shooting.
You're there, you tune away, you leave.
On to the next victim, er. . . customer.

Pitch is very important though, ask a house framer; climb a pine tree;
talk to a piano salesperson or any salesperson for that matter.  :-)

Did you catch that one?

Jon Page

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net