Jack Spring experiment

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:13:03 -0400

My dear friends

The potential energy in the spring is no energy. The spring in its =
released state has no energy, you store energy in the spring when you =
press it, and that energy is released as the spring gets back to its =
original shape.=20

If you have the adequate means or equipment you will notice that each =
time you press the spring its temperature will rise a little, here we =
are referring to kinetic energy, totally different to the chemical one =
involving acid.=20

Now when you put the spring into acid you get a chemical reaction, and =
it is based on the materials ability to react. If the spring was made of =
an acid resistant plastic it would still have the ability of storing =
kinetic energy, but nothing would happen when dipped in acid. Piano jack =
springs are metal which reacts with acid so you get a chemical reaction =
out of them also

Elian
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brian Holden=20
  To: Pianotech Forum=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 21, 1999 3:53 PM
  Subject: Jack Spring experiment

  I confess that I haven't actually done this, but consider taking a =
handful of jack springs and squashing them into a small jar containing =
hydrochloric acid (let 'em know whose the boss).  Somehow screw on the =
lid without the little beasties springing back out and splashing the =
acid over your hands.  Observe the springs being slowly dissolved away =
by the acid. =20
  =20
  Question (which I'm not entirely sure what the answer is):  Where does =
the potential energy go that was contained in the squashed springs?  =
Newton said that energy must go somewhere, but in this case - where?  =
Brian Holden, BSc and piano tuner NZ. =20