White powder

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:52:54 +1100

John Ross wrote:
> I personally think that the container of water, in the bottom of the
> piano, during the heating season, does help maintain a higher level of
> humidity in the piano cavity. It shouldn't be allowed to run dry though.

People who are told that a jar of water helps, are the hardest customers to
convince about Dampp-Chaser. They'll never be convinced that the difference
in cost of the two systems (nothing vs a few hundred bucks) can be
justified.

The water jar may take out the lowest dips in RH but it does little in the
way of real protection or even more so, stability. In summer here (we have a
dry one), pianos with D/C systems will go through a gallon of water every
week to 10 days, there's no way a jar of water in the bottom of the piano
can provide that sort of quantity of water vapor!

Also, I've virtually never seen a jar with anything in it, customers can
never be relied on to fill often enough.

> I don't consider it an old wife's tale, which is something which has no
> merit, and is folklore.

True, but I still think it's dangerous to let people think that it's
enough...

Just a couple of thoughts

Cheers
Mark Bolsius