Jack Spring Answers

Brian Holden bholden@wave.co.nz
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:01:31 +1300

Thanks for the feedback I got from my question.  I read the (unmodified) =
question in a book several years ago and the problem resurfaced last =
week at a gathering I was at (where these kinds of conversations come =
up).  Most agreed that the energy lost from the compressed springs due =
to being dissolved by the HCl, was dispersed as heat.  One or two =
intellectuals did come up with interesting alternatives as was the case =
with this forum.  The consensus seems to be however is that the energy =
was given off as HEAT - and that's the explanation that makes the best =
sense to me.  Thanks.  Brian Holden=20