White powder

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:02:05 -0400

Hi Mark,
I did say, old klunker pianos, and that the people could not afford a D
C System.
I never suggest a jar, I say the largest container they can put in for
maximum water to air transfer.
I make them fully aware, that it will not approach the job that a D C
System will do.
But I still contend that it is a step in the right direction, especially
with wood heat.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mark Bolsius wrote:

> John Ross wrote:
> > I personally think that the container of water, in the bottom of the
>
> > piano, during the heating season, does help maintain a higher level
> of
> > humidity in the piano cavity. It shouldn't be allowed to run dry
> though.
>
> People who are told that a jar of water helps, are the hardest
> customers to
> convince about Dampp-Chaser. They'll never be convinced that the
> difference
> in cost of the two systems (nothing vs a few hundred bucks) can be
> justified.
>
> The water jar may take out the lowest dips in RH but it does little in
> the
> way of real protection or even more so, stability. In summer here (we
> have a
> dry one), pianos with D/C systems will go through a gallon of water
> every
> week to 10 days, there's no way a jar of water in the bottom of the
> piano
> can provide that sort of quantity of water vapor!
>
> Also, I've virtually never seen a jar with anything in it, customers
> can
> never be relied on to fill often enough.

> I tell them if they are going to forget to fill it, then not to do it
> at all.    JR

> > I don't consider it an old wife's tale, which is something which has
> no
> > merit, and is folklore.
>
> True, but I still think it's dangerous to let people think that it's
> enough...

I never indicate to them that it is enough.     JR