Front Rail Pins

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:17:10 -0700

List:  I am asking for info this time and will gladly attempt to absorb
whatever you can provide regarding this:
	I just rebushed ( and recovered ) a set of keys for a Kimball piano.
Measured the width of the balance and front rail pins to determine which
caul(s) to use.  Today I went out and reinstalled the set - but I had to
ease the daylights out of the first couple of keys that I installed (
read ERROR).  I stopped at that point and looked at my work and at the
piano - only to discover that someone in the past had rotated the oval
front rail pins - in some cases more than 45 degrees.
	How, or with what, does one guage the pin's aligned so that the  axis
that defines the narrowest portion of the front rail pin is in the
correct position ie. as in a new piano??
All I could do was "eyeball" them into position and there has to be a
better way.
Still learning and thanking you in advance.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.