Sheffield wire?

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:14:41 -0800

Bob,

At 12:24 AM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>A client, who plays sitar, has requested "Sheffield wire." He expresses
>dissatisfaction with Röslau wire, as well as Mapes, the only two we have
>used. Anyone know a source? He needs #3.

While Steve B., or Clark may have some better ideas, you might check with
Kathy Smith at CSULB or Michael Kemper who is, I think, still at UCLA.  Both
these schools had multiple sitars in the not too distant past.

The problem with the Mapes and Roslau wire is too much carbon.  I was at CSULB
in the '60s and early '70s when a protege of Ravi Shankar was on the
faculty, and we
ran into the same problem.  We wound up getting some wire from England, and
some
from a Frank Hubbard.  Taking advantage of working at a reasonably
well-equipped
university, we sent various samples down to the chem labs for analysis.  Seems
that, like the old Giese wire (and older Roslau, for that matter) these
other wires
had more nickel proportionately to the amount of carbon.  The result was that
the strings would produce a nice, clear fundamental in addition to the richly
varied upper partials so idiosyncratic to the sitar (but related to the Chinese
PiPa).

If your client can hear the difference, nothing else will do.  Remember that
some of the less complex Indian Ragas contain 47 (or so) tones to the
octave...

If I can remember anything more, I will gladly pass it along.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP RPT 	voice: 650.725.9062
Systems Analyst/Engineer,		fax:    650.725.8014
Controller's Office, Stanford University	hgreeley@stanford.edu
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215