Victor console

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:03:37 -0500

Stephen,

Fascinating that you got a lot more response about being in a different time
zone than to your questions.  The one response you did get was from another tech
in New Zealand.  It may be that few of us in the rest of the world have run into
Victor pianos; I know I've never seen one.  By the way it sounds I hope I never
do!  :-)

As to the overtight tuning pins, does anyone have an answer for this?  I hope
so; I would like to know, too.  That is, short of removing them all and reaming
the holes or something like that.

I think I would have done what you did, Steve.  At the very least I would have
had a heart-to-heart talk with the owner before proceeding, pointing out that
even if I try to tune the piano, I would need to charge more for the time
involved and the results may not be all that satisfactory.  There is also the
danger of shearing off some pins, and the client would need to pay for the
repair, since the problem is caused by the piano, not your error.  One last
suggestion -- even though the dealer is out of business, can the manufacturer be
contacted for suggestions?

I hate walking away from a piano leaving a problem unresolved.  Last November I
tuned 1961 Starck console that popped TWO single-wound strings for no obvious
reasons.  No strings had torn before, and the piano has received annual service
from me since 1990.  I really am afraid of the dumb thing and don't want to ever
see it again, but I feel a certain loyalty to the clients.  Rightly or wrongly,
I sidestepped the issue by not calling the client and moving the record card to
November, 2000.

Got to get showered and go take care of some pianos.  Good day, Stephen and
everyone.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA