Victor Pianos

Stephen Powell pianotec@ihug.co.nz
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 21:06:33 +1300

Brian: Sorry to hear that your Victor experience was probably worse that =
mine!  Maybe there is some way we can grab the tuning hammer with both =
hands and play the notes with our feet!!

Regards, Stephen
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Brian Holden <bholden@wave.co.nz>
    To: Pianotech Forum <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Wednesday, 24 November 1999 10:20 AM
    Subject: Victor Pianos
   =20
    The last time I tuned a Victor piano was on the morning of the day =
my mother died, so that piano has bad memories for me.  I knew she was =
very ill and I had decided to get this last tuning in before going up to =
the hospital to see her.  What was intended to be an hour or so ended up =
being two or so (seemed like six).  I swear that piano was the most =
difficult (new) instrument I have ever tuned in my life.  The tuning =
pins were so tight, it was almost as they were designed to be =
permanently fixed into the pinblock.  I went away from that job feeling =
absolutely whacked!  This story is absolutely true.  I guess the little =
beast is due for another tuning (of course it will be - it's been over =
two years!).  Somehow the customer card did not find its way back into =
the reminder file, in fact it seems to have genuinely gone missing =
altogether.  That's a shame.  Legend has it, that the piano was named =
"Victor" because it was designed to get the better of technicians.  It =
darned near succeeded.   Brian Holden, upside down in New Zealand. =20