Victor console

Stephen Powell pianotec@ihug.co.nz
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 21:19:56 +1300

Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Our old buddy Vince put Protek in a snappy pin block and reported that it
>smoothed right out without noticeably reducing pin torque. That probably
>wouldn't work here, and I wouldn't be brave enough to try it in a piano
>anyway. Has anyone ever tried the equivalent of shrinking action centers on
>pinblocks? A little alcohol and water dribbled into the block, like you
>were doping it, should swell the wood enough to induce a little permanent
>compression set so that when the block finally dried out, the pins would be
>looser... and possibly rusty. I'm not condoning this, and haven't tried it,
>but since reasonable assembly techniques seem to be so elusive for some
>manufacturers, there ought to be some sort of quick and dirty improvement
>possible, just to give the field tech a fighting chance. It's about time we
>found one. Everybody go out in the shop and try something outrageous on a
>pinblock scrap with some too tight pins installed and report back in a week
>or two. One of us may stumble upon something truly dangerous and/or
>wonderful. I think it's worth a try. Hey, it beats spending time with
>stuffed relatives this weekend, doesn't it?
>

>Ron N

I'd sure like to hear about any results in this direction.  Maybe I'll just
have to add these pianos to my list of bazooka target practice along with
all the spinets and overdampers :-)

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this issue.  I feel like I did the
right thing now!

Stephen "overdampers track me down" Powell
Auckland, NZ