Sheffield wire?

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:22:25 -0800

Bob,

At 04:43 PM 11/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Replies to several notes on this subject:
>
>to Horace: I should have thought of you at once as the Official Repository of
>Arcane Minutiae! Thanks for the leads. I will follow up. Hubbard doesn't list
>what kind of wire they have; Zuckermann lists Röslau. We got the client a
>pound of some stuff (Röslau?) from American to get him by. He can hear the
>difference.

Thanks for the compliment...I think.  Zuckermann is all but out of business.
I'll check and see if I can find a French address for some stuff,
also.  Hubbard
used to carry Roslau (Hey! By the way, howdidjado that umlaut?), as well as
some more common U.S. stuff.

I'll bet he can.  It's pretty astounding, once you get used to it.

>---------
>to Susan and to Richard Brekne, thanks for suggesting searching web; I didn't
>find much under a number of different search parameters.

The problem with web searches is (essentially) of there being simply too much
information.  Rather like wandering into the card catalog room at the Library
of Congress and starting with "A".  More on this, maybe, later, depending on
a few calls.

>----------
>Barrie Heaton writes:
> > Stainless Steel wire
> >  Tensile strength approx. 12% less than Roslau so is good for Forte
> >  pianos as well.  They will make any size to order they stock 0.725mm to
> >  1.50mm
> >  MWG 12 - 25
> >
> >  Pure Sound.......
>
>Barrie,
>Thanks for the source. I am looking for smaller wire, #3 (0.3mm). I had hoped
>for "in-stock" instead of special order. I don't know what the client means
>by "Sheffield wire" or where he got it originally. There are two wiremakers
>in Sheffield, but they don't list music wire specifically on their Web sites.

Stainless is a different sound than either the Roslau or a lower carbon
steel altogether.  "Reedier" than Roslau, but still not sufficient
fundamental -
sort of like a "quint" stop on an organ.

>I found Hecksher's catalog online, but they carry Röslau. Do you have a
>catalog for Fletcher and Newman, and do they list what kind of wire they
>carry?

Wasn't F/N going to go online, as well?

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving Holiday.  In our home, everyone is
well (and
over-employed), our son is, ah, er, experiencing college, and family and
friends all
seem well and happy.  There is much for which we should all be thankful.

With best wishes for everyone.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP RPT 	voice: 650.725.9062
Systems Analyst/Engineer,		fax:    650.725.8014
Controller's Office, Stanford University	hgreeley@stanford.edu
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215