Baldwin 7' bass string breakage

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:04:53 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kenneth:

Now that you have explained where the strings are breaking, I may have
a reason for this. In the early days of production of this piano, it was
discovered that the smaller core Bass Strings would unravel at the loop
end. We used to treat the twisted portion of the string loops with an
abrasive (light gray solution) to keep the twisted portion from moving
under tension. Did you notice any coloring on the other good strings?

It may be that since the early days someone decided that the abrasive
way no longer needed. I think it is still needed unless they have
changed the stringing scale since the 70's. At that time all of the two
string unisons were using .039" diam. core wire if I'm not mistaken.

In those days, we did not attribute that kind of breakage to heavy
pounding, but to work hardening as the wire moved around the hitch pins.

Jim Coleman, Sr.