Thanks!

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:06:04 -0500

Friends,

Even those of this list who are not residents of the United States
probably know that today is Thanksgiving Day, a legal holiday in the
USA.  Some history is given later in this post.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those involved with
pianos who take time to share their wealth of information with those of
us who know less.  I know I am going to miss some names; I hope the rest
of you will help complete the list.  Those that come to mind at the
moment include "Dr." Jim Coleman, Sr., Del Fandrich, Ron Nossaman, the
Jims, and many more.  I also laugh with those who use zany humor.

Thanksgiving Day is a great time to thank others for contributions they
have made to our lives, knowledge and wellbeing, but I am saddened when
I notice the original intent of the day being increasingly downplayed.
I won't go into why I think this is happening.  But for those who are
interested in a little history, here are snatches of President Abraham
Lincoln's proclamation made in 1863:

[Earlier in the proclamation are mentioned fruitful fields, healthful
skies, peace with other nations, respect for order, harmony, increased
population]  "No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand
worked out these great things.  They are the gracious gifts of the Most
High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath
nevertheless remembered mercy....  I do therefore invite my fellow
citizens ... to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November
next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficient Father who
dwelleth in the Heavens...."

Thanksgiving was proclaimed by every US president after Lincoln and
became a legal holiday by act of Congress in 1941.  At one point
President Franklin Roosevelt moved it a week earlier to lengthen the
Christmas shopping season, but after a public outcry it was returned to
its original day, which is today, the last Thursday of November.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA