strangeness

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:06:45 -0600

>Is the " Hoffa"  part of the temperament the part where they pour fresh
>cement around the tuning pins right after the tuning so it won't ever go
>out of tune?

* I didn't notice any, but it could very Well have run into the bottom of
the piano. I didn't think to look, sorry. I'll make a note to check that
when I go back in 2005.

>I believe this temperament takes on all the characteristics of the famed
>"reverse well" combined with Werkmeister XXI and broadwoods equal beating
>victorian.  Or am I wrong about that?
>
>Dale F

* Sounds plausible enough, but that's a rather tricky call. The character
of the temperament of the tuning, filtered through the temperament of the
next tuner, temperamental as some tuners seem to be, is often difficult to
quantify by the unqualified - I'm tempering my assessments here, being
among the unqualified - especially after the passage of  time. The greater
the number of temperaments that are thrown together in subjective
evaluations of this sort, the greater the resultant emotional tension,
especially in the transitional passages, often making it quite difficult to
separate the intended resultant subjective impression from the background
noise. Then again, it might have just been the result of a lot of little
random accidents brought on by the previous tuner using the wrong end of
the hammer. I suspect that greatness is achieved in such a way far more
often than we are aware.

Hmmm... now that's a disturbing thought. I'd hate to think that what I
found on that Wurlitzer was just another lousy tuning, without benefit and
dignity of an important sounding name. Bummer, there goes my chance for
immortality.

Ron N