gulbransen console

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:09:28 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ron:

Good to see you back in the land of the living.

One must always do the damper alignment with the damper rod in place so
that you know that all the dampers are lifting evenly. The damper wire
bending is most easily done before the hammers and shanks go in. Of course
one must check end samples of the hammer stroke and damper lift timing
to avoid unnecessarily large adjustments of the damper spoons later.
What I like to do after all the hammers are glued in is to use a caul
which is of rectangular shape 5/8" by 11/16" by the length of the shortest
distance between action brackets. This caul can be wedged in between the
hammers and the strings at the strike point so that as one raised a wippen
by its backcheck, one can see if the damper is just barely tickled by the
spoon as the hammer hits the 11/16" spacer caul.

Once one has learned how to fit the spoon regulator tool to the spoons (this
is the hard part) one canadjust the spoons to pick up earlier or later as
the test indicates by merely bending the spoon our farther to the back to
pick up earlier, or by bending the spoon closer to the wippen rail to make
the damper lift later.

There is another method which has been written on in detail which you can
find in the archives if finding the spoons with the tool is problematical.
This involves setting spoons at the beginning and ending of each section
in the piano and then, on the bench, aligning the rest to the samples.

Good luck.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I heard that you were out of the business for a while. I hope you
didn't let your membership lapse.