Kimbal/Piano disk

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:08:03 +0100

Having done over 60 installations over a period of 7 years now, and having helped
on at least 40 installations prior to that time, while learning, I can tell you
that dags have nothing to do with the problem. Actually if you take the time to
measure the width of the dag and the width of the keyframe it becomes obvious
that dags do nothing more then function as a back stop. If they didnt, you would
have yet another problem with the soft shift pedal to take care of, and nobody
has ever included some proceedure for regulation of dag width in this regard.

If it is loose keys that are wobbling, you would hear this on normal play.
Perhaps it would be a bit less noticeable, but that depends on the profile of the
balance rail hole and in most cases the opposite would be the case. Most keys on
most pianos will ride up the balance rail pin from the front much easier then
from the back. If you dont believe me then just do the test for key hole size
(ala Laroy Edwards) backwards as well as normally.

I say again, this is a classic Piano Disk problem, and 98% of the time it is the
solenoid assembly that needs to be addressed.