String breakage in relation to hammer mass

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:52:48 EST

In a message dated 11/28/1999 3:27:58 AM, Michael wrote:

<<"If a hammer is unusually heavy will it contribute to string breakage?

Michael">>

Michael;
 The short answer is yes. The long answer is yes, explained by E=MC(squared)
:-)
Heavy hammers contribute to the performer using more pressure while playing
to overcome the inertia of the hammer. This "heavy hammer" also translates
into more kinetic energy/inertia to be disipated at the end of the hammer
stroke and the only thing that is available to dispate this energy is the
stringee thingamabob.

  Breaking strings can be caused by many, many things, i.e. bad wire, poor
scaling, poor termination points(s), poor regulation, overly hard hammers,
etc. and this list should include 'overenthusiastic' playing as well as
'misuse' of the sustain or "tempo" pedal :-)
  I find that most of the string breakage I run into is caused by
'overenthusiastic' playing and 98% of this is in "Chrismatic" Churches,
usually in settings where the piano is in competition with other instruments.
In most, if not all, of the cases the "tempo" pedal is highly polished/worn
:-). String breakage under these circumstances runs across the spectrum of
all makes and styles of instruments and is an equal opportunity phenomenon.
My take.
 Jim Bryant (FL)